Saturday, August 09, 2003

What I've read this year.

Or should that be, in the last 6 weeks?

In no particular order.

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende - A good book, enjoyable read, really gives the imagination a work out. I liked the first half better.

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - bought in a used book store for $3. I should be getting a $4 refund plus the week of my life back that I wasted reading it. What is in this book that made it so damn famous? Back then such cynicism probably was shocking, but now, it's everyday. He was angst before there was such a thing.

Shelters of the Stone by Jane Auel - The fifth book in her Clan of the Cave Bear series. I just finished it a few minutes ago. Eh. A lot of repetition from the two books before it. Plus 3/4 of the book takes place in the first 2 weeks they return to the family. Then boom! It's 7 months later. Boom! it's a year later.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain - His experiences in of 20 years of cooking and the people he's worked for and the ones that now work for him. Highly recommended.

Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain - Eats a still beating cobra heart in Thailand I believe, has a 6 hour dinner in Californa and of course, eats fugu in Japan. The things that have passed that man's lips and his wife still wants to kiss him? A good read if only for the humorous ways he describes any food related illness (and there's many) he's afflicted with.

I think that's been my reading list so far this summer. Wanna say there was another book that I forgot to list, but a quick look in my piles of books doesn't reveal anything that hasn't already been mentioned here. Tomorrow, for sure, Catcher in the Rye will be going back to the used bookstore.

No comments: