Monday, August 25, 2003

I didn't like the ending that much

Stayed up late Saturday night to finish The Crimson Petal and White. It was a pretty good book. Very rare is the book that has me hooked at the first page, but this one did. I didn't like the ending though. It leaves you hanging, wondering what happens to the characters. There's no closure, conclusion or finality. I was left fustrated, like a wicked case of literary blue balls.

The story is about a prostitue, Sugar, and the man who takes her to be his mistress. Sugar's mother was her madam at the old brothel.

They say prostitution is the oldest profession. Which made me think, which came first, the prostitue or the mother?

~*~

Listening to the BBC world news on NPR a bit ago and they reported that the heat wave deaths in France are so many that refrigerated trucks and tents are being used as temporary morgues. I didn't catch what the latest numbers are up to now. At first when I heard about it, I thought, 'big deal, it gets 95-100 degrees pretty much all summer here.' But then I had to remind myself that they are further north than I am and the normal summer temps are much much cooler. When I was in France and England the day's high temps were the same as our nightly lows here.

No comments: