Sunday, August 17, 2003

Rested

I went back to the lake house I stayed at in May for my birthday. My days were pretty much the same. Wake up around 7.30 or 8, go outside and read (The Crimson Petal and the White), when it got too hot or I ran out of shade which was around noonish, I'd come in, eat, take a nap, check my email and sew a bit on an applique project. Around 4 there was shade on the little freestanding porch swing and I'd go back out and either continue sewing if it wasn't too windy or read. My host would come home around 6 or 7 and we'd eat, talk, watch the moon rise and then go to bed.

The mornings were cool and delicious. Even at 4 there was a slight breeze cooled by the lakes that made it plesant. Even in the middle of the day it didn't feel that hot, I guess because I'm away from the sun soaking concrete of the city that inhales the heat then bleches it back at you for an hour after sunset.

I came home Friday around 8pm and watched my Ever After dvd for a while and went to bed at 10. Yesterday my across the breezway neighbor was getting ready for her son's first birthday. They don't have a car and she babysits and her husband works as a mechanic at the Firestone a few blocks away. So at noon, she strapped her kid in my backseat and I ran her around to pick up stuff. She knew exactly what she needed from which stores so I stayed in the car playing vroom vroom truck and radio surfing to find a song the kid liked and we'd bop-dance together. Then around 8.30 she knocked on my door and invited me for grilled hot dogs and burgers.

Tomorrow I go back to work. I'm rested but not quite ready to go back. But on the flip side, by Thursday afternoon I was getting a bit bored. How women stay home all the time while their husbands work and not at least do volunteer work baffles my mind.

No comments: