Friday, August 08, 2003

'Have Journal, Will Travel' says the card of a woman

Today's Friday Five.

1. What's the last place you traveled to, outside your own home state/country?

May 2002 I went with my mom and dad to South Dakota to spend a week with my maternal grandmother. It's beautiful up there and even though grandma is in pretty good health for an 82 year old heavy smoker, I worry that the next time I go up there will be her funeral.

2. What's the most bizarre/unusual thing that's ever happened to you while traveling?

I'm thinking and thinking and I can't think of anything weird that's happened to me while traveling. Usually it's the run-of-the-mill memorable family visit or touristy thing. Pleasant but nothing out of the ordinary. The worst thing that's ever happened to me was getting sexually assulted in Paris outside of the Church of the Sacred Heart. It sat on top of a hill and overlooked Paris which seemed to stretch to the horizon. I never filed a complaint or anything.

From my understanding rape really isn't taken seriously in France. The attitude is, 'your a woman, it's going to happen sooner or later, suck it up'. Wasn't it in Italy where their high court ruled that it isn't possible for a woman wearing jeans to be raped. Excuse Me??!!?? I'd like to take those judges and put them in wranglers and toss their degio ass into any maximum security prison and see if that ruling will continue to hold water.

3. If you could take off to anywhere, money and time being no object, where would you go?

Ireland without a doubt. And visit England and Scotland while I'm at it. Stonehenge, Loch Ness - places I'm tired of reading about because I want to see them first hand.

4. Do you prefer traveling by plane, train or car?

Car is ok but you get stiff after a while. Plane is faster although I'm so tense throughout the flight that my neck and shoulders are rock hard when I land. Never been on a train but I've got a feeling I'd love it. You see scenery like car travel, but you can also get up and walk around like a plane. From what I understand, it's the slowest of the three. And ship. I would love to take one of those windjammer cruises in the northeast. Or any kind of masted ship cruise to anywhere, I don't care. I think I overanswered the question.


5. What's the next place on your list to visit?

I've discovered some neat places here in Oklahoma. On my list is Alabaster Caverns, Black Mesa, returning to Gloss (or Glass) Mountains, Tall Grass Prairie Reserve and the site where they found brontosaurs bones and footprints. I need to find someone to roadtrip with and head west on I-40 and see New Mexico and Arizona. Las Vegas also is on my list.

No comments: