Saturday, May 10, 2003

Yes, the storm changed direction and Edmond was in it's path, not a direct path as it zig-zaged it's way through the city. When it was about 4 miles from here, I hunkered down in the bathtub and waited. I had a radio with me and heard that it hit a amusement park on I-35, not far from where I work. I wondered if I would have a job to go to after vacation. They said the tornado was headed north and I braced for the worse, then the power went out, taking the radio with it. I saw the lightning flashes under the door and heard hail hitting the windows.

They say it gets quiet before the tornado hits, which isn't always true since this one was rain-wrapped. They also say you never hear the one that hits you, so as long as I was hearing things, I figured I was ok. After 5 minutes the lightning had dramatically slowed down and I heard someone cough in the breezeway. So I ventured out. It had missed us by a few miles.

Called home to say I was ok, and mom picked up half way through the first ring. She said her brother in Illinios called after seeing that we were in the middle of a tornado worried and unsure of where I lived.

It's funny the things I grabbed and stuffed in a bag while getting ready to dive for cover. I got my car title, insurance papers, journal (current and past), bank papers and passport were my important stuff. Things that probably should be in a safe box at the bank. Trivial stuff included a painted wooden spoon that was a gift, a small Peruivian drum, salt crystals that I dug up, a plastic Yoda and a greeting card with two beagle puppies that I had framed and on top of my TV, a notebook of my geneology and my sewing machine. Dad had made me an emergency kit and I added to it some basic toiletries and a change of clothes, the first quilt I made and a pillow.

If I was going to be homeless, I didn't want to be homeless without those things. Most of it fit into a backpack, gym bag and my purse. The sewing machine I put next to the tub, everything else fit inside. The quilt and pillow were to protect my head and body

Afterward I lit some candles and had a bit of wine to calm down. Went to bed at midnight, the power was still out. I think it was restored around 1.30.

As the storm was coming in on the west side of town, the phone rang, thinking it was mom, I answered. It was a guy asking me to subscribe to the sunday oklahoman. I asked him where he was calling from, but didn't hear the answer since they had updated the strom path and I listened to that. I interupped him saying i'd never consider subscribing until all the gaylords were dead (one killed over 2 weeks ago) and that there was a tornado coming and hung up on him. In the heat of the moment I forgot to tell him I was on the do not call list and he was breaking state law by calling me.

It's a beautiful day out now, I'm going to the park and enjoy it for there could me more storms again tonight.

No comments: