Thursday, May 29, 2003

I saw the shrink. I don't like her.

Being a new patient I can understand coming in 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork. So when I made the appt she told me to come a little early, like 12.15. Ok. I get there, it takes me 15 minutes to complete the forms. And I wait. and wait. and wait. A woman comes in while I'm doing paper work and gets seen almost immeadiately.

Finally the door swings open and she is standing there and gives me a sharp nod of her head and turns and walks quickly down the curved hall. She doesn't wait for me, she doesn't tell me which office she's in or anything. I'm way behind her peeking in every open door (and there were alot) trying to find her. Finally I get to her office and close the door behind me since she's already at her desk. I sit down, she looks at this little grey thing and says, 'just a moment'. While I'm sitting there she calls one of her other patients and asks a few general questions and makes an appointment to see the other patient. All while I'm sitting there. She's asking a few basic questions about my therapy and medical history and her pager (the little grey thing) goes off. She looks at it and I'm thinking, 'if she returns that call, I'm outta here.' But she didn't.

She has this 'depression comes and goes in cycles and sometimes clears up on it's own' attitude and didn't seem interested in giving me anything for it and probably only considered it because I told her my counselor recommened that I be seen. She flipped closed my file and dumped it on the floor behind her and didn't say anything for several moments. I thought that was my cue to leave and was about to when she said she'd start me on Zoloft. I might get nausea she said, but tough it out unless it's really bad, then call her. So she can return my call while another patient is in the room? I got a 3 week sample kit and I go back in 3 weeks, either I stay with it, or she puts me on something else.

In a nutshell she was everything I dreaded in seeing a shrink and worse. The other shrink my insurance covers isn't practicing anymore, (at least his phone number listed now belongs to a private residence) and the closest one in the city is a 20 min drive one way and I can't afford to be away from work that long.

I scored my drugs, I guess that's all that matters.

No comments: