Monday, May 12, 2003

Today is my 28th birthday.

I started the day out right with a 9am bubble bath. At 10 I was in the locker room at the spa slipping into a thick soft robe for my 90, yes, 90 minute full body massage. She worked out the knots and kinks I knew I had and noted on the paper they had me fill out and found some others I didn't know I had and took care of those as well. I'd been having jaw soreness on my left side and mentioned this as she was working on the left side of my neck. I told her that it started after a dental appt and the dentist later told me it could be due to a tight neck muscle. She said that side was pretty tight. Now my tired jaw muscles are relaxed and are a bit sore from being tensed up for 3 weeks. It is so nice to drop my chin onto my chest and not have the tight muscles down my spine to my hips stretch and scream in protest.

I got my back and feet wrapped in hot towels scented with lavendar and chamomile and a herbal pillow for my eyes. The oil she used left me really soft. I declined a shower to wash it off and put up with slippery legs and squishy toes just cause I liked the way it felt. I listened to the new age-y music and imagined soft flowing colors or meadows with wildflowers to help me relax. I was offered herbal teas and cookies afterward and told I could hang out in the lounge as long as I wanted. There was a variety of high end shampoos and body washes in the shower along with hairspray, gel, and hair dryer. I was quite impressed. But then it was my first trip to a spa and when it comes to the fru-fru pamper yourself stuff, I am easily impressed.

Home for a lunch of green beans and mashed potatoes and off to therapy. Since I had a good week (one crying spell) and kept pretty busy and occupied, I didn't start crying in her office. I was afraid I would and thought of cancelling because i didn't want to get all tense again after the massage. But I stayed pretty calm. And she was pleased that I had a good week and seemed to be feeling pretty good.

Went to the bank and put some extra money on my car loan and then to the grocery and stocked up on the basics.

Saturday I sat out at the park for 3.5 hrs. I didn't think I was out there that long. Sitting by the pond gave me a pair of beet red shoulders. That night I went to the bookstore and bought Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Read almost half of it yesterday (while sitting inside). Quite an interesting book. Althought I think it could have been edited a bit tighter, it doesn't drag. After this, I'm going to get a Cook's Tour.

Tomorrow I'm off in search of peace and quiet.

No comments: