Sunday, July 06, 2003

Well, another week away from the computer and not much has been going on.

My therapy appt was moved from Monday to Wednesday of next week, but I may have to cancel as my car insurance is due this month. I pay it every six months and this time the amount due is more that my last paycheck. So I have that as well as regular bills. By the time everything clears I'll have $150 in the bank to get me through the next two weeks.

Mom came up Friday afternoon. We went to Gutherie (she bought me a full tank of gas for a 30 mile round trip) and checked out several antique shops there. Gutherie has a very beautiful downtown. We watched the fireworks at UCO campus and it took us 45 minutes to drive the 3/4 mile back to my apt. I would have walked if it had just been me, but since mom had been walking all around Gutherie and a few other stores we went to, I didn't know if she could make it.

She stayed at the hotel across the street and we both slept late. I went through the Gazette Friday and tore out ads for some interesting unique little shops around here to check out. I took her to the new Hobby Lobby on Danforth that opened last weekend and the new quilt shop. There is a new Hancocks Fabrics opening here too, but driving by it, we couldn't tell if they were open for business or just stocking.

Around 3.30 she left to head home. I was probably already asleep before she left the gas station down the road. Slept for an hour and a half and it did me good. I don't really mind the heat we have here in the summer, but I do forget how much it takes out of a person when they are running around in it. How outdoor workers can do it, I don't know. Ya get used to it I guess.

I've been working on and off this week on a hand quilting a wall hanging. It is of a bundle of wheat and I framed it with a ribbon border. I already had some sage green fabric that I thought would look good with the design quilted in white. The tips of my first and second finger of my right hand are all chewed up from the needle pricking me. It's the only way to feel and make sure the needle has gone all the way through. Some can use a leather thimble but when I tried I kept wanting to sew the leather to the back.

I also finished Kitchen Confidential and bought A Cook's Tour and finished that in a week. Both are by Anthony Bourdain and I highly recommend Kitchen Confidential. The second one is good too, however it lacked a sense of continuity. A few days ago I started The Neverending Story. I'll let you know if it ends.

No comments: