Monday, June 02, 2003

I went to the basic hand quilting class today. It was quiet as the maximum number of students is 10 and there were 9 there. The class was held at a quilt store in OKC, and while the instructor was giving one on one instruction the woman next to me whispered if I had been to the new quilt store in Edmond. She kept glancing at the instructor as though we were in school again and trying not to get caught whispering gossip back and forth.

We were given a 'quilt' that had a simple design marked on it. It took me almost two small hearts to get the hang of using the thimble and coordinating my hands and keeping my thumb out of the way. As slow as I was going, I still didn't move my thumb out of the way fast enough and ended up jamming the needle under my nail. Not fun.

My only problem was my fine motorskill coordination. That level was at zero. By the time I was getting the hang of it all, I was out of thread and class was almost over.

I got to draw in therapy today! A house, a picture of me, a picture of me doing something I enjoy, and one of me with my family.My house had very few windows (some with curtains), no sidewalk and no chimney. The pictures of me and my family she found interesting because I drew no faces on the heads. She asked me why. I said it's because I don't like drawing faces and I'm not very good at it. I told her that I like dolls and teddybears without faces. I love those Amish dolls. She said it was interesting and unusual not to draw faces and asked for my permission to take my drawings into to 'consulation' that she has with the other therapists in her office. I said sure. I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of faceless freak I could have hiding inside me.

No comments: