Sunday, March 09, 2003

Last week in Delphi's class Beth was super quiet. Made me wonder what was wrong, but if I asked, she'd probably never shut up, so I kept my mouth closed. Well, today she came with a new hair cut and a determination to make up for the lost words of last week.

It was rather humorous that she was telling the new people to slow down when she herself was dancing at double time. Telling them to relax their hands when hers were frozen in this claw shape that a crowbar wouldn't budge. Delphi lets her lead the class for part of the hour and I think it's going to her head.

I flip flop between feeling bad about seeking out and going to other dance studios without telling anyone, but then when I'm in class and doing my millionth hip circle I realize that if I want to learn other moves, I have to go somewhere else.

Beth and Sue both seemed to 'helpfully' gang up on Leah, the cute little just-turned-15 yr old Jewish girl. Telling her she was going in the wrong direction when she wasn't and getting her confused. At one point Delphi was watching the newbies and calling out which direction they should go to. Beth was dancing with them since she knew the move and they could watch her. The rest of us sat off to the side.

Delphi called out 'side' and almost at the same time Beth and Sue both told Leah that she was going in the wrong direction. That was the second time in 10 minutes that Sue that 'corrected' Leah when infact she was right on with her moves. After the second time Leah shot Sue a glance that would have wilted a cactus. And inside I was thinking, 'you go, girl.'

That's another reason, Beth and Sue acting like they know all about bellydance and correcting people. My peeve is that when (usually) Beth does something wrong, she won't be corrected, but if one of the newbies does the same thing, Delphi corrects them and not Beth. Sue uses too much of her shoulders, and at times remindes me of a gay guy running through tires during football practice.

No, I shouldn't feel bad about taking lessons elsewhere. At least now, I'm learning something.

No comments: