Friday, December 16, 2005

square fish

My dream life has been very very active lately. I know I dream, but don't remember any of it. I've read that you should keep a pen and paper by the bed and when you wake up out of a dream to write it down, or sketch it. Sounds good in theory. But, honestly, who wants to roll over out of a comfy position, feel around for the paper, knock the pen off the nightstand, fish around under the bed for it, turn on the lamp, get blinded, hang upside down to look under the bed for the pen when it actually just landed at the base of the nightstand and you didn't really need to inhale dust bunnies at 3 AM. Then you wake up read what you wrote and can't make sense of it because you've either written a page full of adverbs or can't read your own writing.

One night I tried to imagine myself writing down a dream thinking it would help me remember it. Didn't work.

I have over the years noticed that if I awake out of a dream and it sorta made sense at the time, I won't remember it in the morning.

The other night I had a dream I was swimming with the fishes. Not like a mobster would have you swim with the fishes. I had no flippers, no oxygen tank, nothing, I'm able to breathe water.

I don't swim. Barely know how. Other than a former Red Cross lifeguard, everyone else who has tried to teach me thinks it is damn funny to get me out there, get me trusting them, then dunk me.

Anyway, I was swiming with at least one of every fish in this reef area. The school was not just a random group, but in a square, about 10 wide, 10, high, 10 deep. Each fish lined up and no one breaking ranks. As the only human, I felt a bit out of place.

Then a shark starts circling, we stay in formation, each fish facing a different direction to be on the look out. A manata ray swims by, since mantas are my favorite fish in the world, I thought we would be safe. The shark bites the manata, I get pissed and after watching the manata swim away injured, I get super angry, break ranks and swim toward the shark. Don't know what else happened because the alarm goes of. Why does the alarm go off just as the dream gets better?








reading: Me by Katherine Hepburne
Whiskey is: sleeping behind the couch

No comments: